Thursday, June 23, 2016

Writing Workshop with Vivian Vande Velde & Marsha Hayles!

2 great authors who both wrote wonderful books came to Rochester for a writing workshop at Barnes & Noble! You should check out some of their books, (Marsha- Breathing Room, Vivian- 23 minutes, Remembering Raquel) I learned a lot of valuable tips for character development, using different voices, and publishing. We wrote the beginning of a story off a prompt and even got some tips! It's a horror story and I was trying a new writing technique I got from the book Spilling Ink, by Anne Mazer & Ellen Potter- (another really great book.) I don't have a title because I haven't written enough of the story to develop one. Here is a rough, rough, rough unedited draft of what I wrote, I was also under a time limit.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Aaah!"

I back away & flatten my self against the wall. 'Breathe' I tell myself. He's just a two year old baby. Sweet as sugar. I tentatively take a step forward, then another. I look at his mane, his teeth, & think 'you're not scared.' I bend over to pick him up. & then jump back, clutching my hand.  I take my left hand off and find my right stained red. I feel sickened. What happened to the baby who would never harm a fly?

"Aaah!"

I shriek again. David stands up on his hind legs & climbs out of his crib. I try to think back to what my sister told me to do when dealing with dangerous creatures. Oh, why had I tuned her out? I back away slowly, saying "Shhh, shhh." Then I throw caution to the wind and run, no, sprint, down the stairs. I throw the door open with a BANG! that makes it shudder on its hinges. I look behind me to find the-the demon child following me. At a busy intersection, I wait for a red light and then cross the street. On the adjacent sidewalk, I look over my shoulder again and see David following me. He's at the busy intersection, and looks around, He sees me on the other side of the street and starts running. Except he doesnt wait for a red light. A BMWclearly breaking the speed limit flies toward the intersection... and David.

"STOP!" I scream, hoping it will be enough. I close my eyes and brace myself for the 'thud!' I am sure is to come.

_____________________________________________________________________________

That's as far as I got. I will try to post more of this story. I hope you've enjoyed it so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment